Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hunt for Pneumonia

I survived my first 40 km drive, dodging goats and potholes, to Ramotswa, on a hunt for more pneumonia patients at Bamalete Lutheran Hospital. Not going to lie, I was sweating bullets in the roundabouts and just about every time I passed a car on the highway in my too-close-for-comfort right-sided driver seat.

I was paired up with Dr. M, a jolly generalist from Zimbabwe. When I say generalist, I mean that I followed him back and forth between the outpatient clinic, maternity ward, and operating theater. Old school docs here have all been trained to practice medicine anywhere at anytime, and they find the idea of an orthopedist or a dermatologist ridiculous.

My goal was to feel the place out in terms of its pneumonia burden. I saw a vacuum birth, an abdominal mass, a few broken bones, a LOT of hypertension, one case of the hiccups, and no pneumonia. Looks like I will not be returning to Bamalete...

The highlight of the day was definitely Dr. M, who grew up with the African health system, but still finds humor in its ridiculousness. He told many stories, such as a patient who drove 200 miles to get his blood sugar checked, and when he arrived, he was carrying a glucometer.
"Why didn't you check it yourself?" Dr. M asked.
"Because this is the clinic where I received the diagnosis," answered the patient.
"I was diagnosed with diabetes in Scotland," answered Dr. M, "but that doesn't mean I need to go back there."

A woman today was worried about gaining weight while pregnant: "I've gained some recently," she said.
"No, no. You were much bigger the last time I saw you," replied Dr. M.

On the drive back, I missed my turn approximately 12 times, but I made it. Sarah's birthday is tomorrow! Stay tuned for lots of pictures from her party!

No comments:

Post a Comment