Friday, February 17, 2012

Bachelorette pad weekend

World AIDS conference submission success! Such a great feeling! We show that the percentage of adult pneumonia patients presenting to the emergency department with HIV is just as high as in TB, which is pretty shocking.

My sad news is that last week my hip started hurting after running, and I've diagnosed myself with trochanteric bursitis. I haven't run in a week, so I'm getting pretty stir crazy and worried about the ultramarathon. However, I've yet again proved how versatile spandex can be after turning my birthday outfit into a series of dynabands for muscle training.

Another bummer is that I was planning on running the Mafikeng marathon in South Africa this weekend with my French running buddy Renaud, but I backed out so I wouldn't kill my bursa. I didn't back out in time to make it onto the road trip my friends are taking to Mozambique this weekend, so instead, I'm sleeping, dog sitting, and going on a ladies night with my friend Lame to the Beef Baron, which is apparently the nicest restaurant in town according to her. I'm thinking this might require some photo documentation.

Back to the dog-sitting. Marlow is insane. We just went for our first walk using her choke collar, which is supposed to encourage her not to yank my arm off. Instead, she just choked herself every time she wanted to eat fire-starter or bottle shards. Don't worry Ryan--no glass in her stomach, but I can't make any promises about the mysterious animal fur.

On the other hand, walking down the street with a giant, crazy dog was the most empowered I have ever felt in Botswana. People here are TERRIFIED of dogs, and for good reason. Anyone with anything inside their house to protect always has a giant, viscious dog in the front yard ready to bite any stranger's face off. The most popular guard dog is the Boerboel, which can shift from a giant teddy bear to the embodiment of a nightmare in miliseconds. I just googled "Boerboel" and found this: http://www.isdog.net/3002/Boerboel-300x298-Boerboel.html

Anyway, when I walk towards people on the street with Marlow, they unfailingly make a quarter-mile arc around us while staring at Marlow in terror. For me, it's a far cry from constantly worrying about being mugged.

Aside from occasionally trying to bite my face off and chasing her own tail, Marlow is pretty good at getting what she wants. I was sitting on the Ryans' high bar stools today, and Marlow kept coming up and resting her chin on my leg and looking up at me pleadingly. When I indulged her, she tried to bite my face off. I'll get the hang of it soon I hope...

No comments:

Post a Comment